Shari Handley's Eastern Shore Maryland Genealogy Project

The Lower DelMarVa Family Album
Images of Historic Sites and Sights on the Lower Eastern Shore

Hello guest. Why not register (it is free!) to see even more pictures?

Lower Delmarva Family Album

Historical Images from the Lower Eastern Shore


Home Contact Upload file Register Login
**CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ALBUM** Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favorites Search
Home > LDFA

MezickElizabethJane.jpg
MESSICK: Betsy J. Messick HitchElizabeth Jane Messick, b. 16 Sep 1831, Worcester County, MD
dau. of Ebenezer and Nancy (Johnson) Messick
m. Thomas James Hitch 9 Jan 1856 and lived in Somerset (now Tyaskin, Wicomico) County
OCBdwkBallrmAtlanticHotel.jpg
Ocean City - Boardwalk and Beach from the Atlantic Hotel
dolles.jpg
Ocean City - Dolle's Candyland Boardwalk at Wicomico Street, near the pier in Ocean City, about 1920
PierBallroom.jpg
Ocean City - Interior of the Pier Ball Room
1930soc-coastguardcrew.jpg
Ocean City - Life Saving Crew (Surfmen) in Surf Boat
captcarsonandmenOCLSS1915.jpg
Ocean City - Lifesaving Station, 1915Captain Carson and his Surfmen
PC_1181_Plimhimmon_1922_jpg.jpg
Ocean City - Plimhimmon Hotel,Ocean City, 1922
SeasideHotel1915.jpg
Ocean City - Seaside HotelThis hotel, located on Wicomico Street at Baltimore Avenue, was built in 1876 and destroyed in a 1925 fire that also consumed the original pier building, the original Atlantic Hotel, and several blocks of the boardwalk.
1950oc-stmarystarofthesea.jpg
Ocean City - St. Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church
ocboardwalk-1910.jpg
Ocean City - The Ocean Promenade Looking South from the New Atlantic Casino
USLifesavingStationOC.jpg
Ocean City - U.S. Lifesaving Station
TrimpersWindsorResort.jpg
Ocean City - Windsor Resortprecursor to Trimper's in Ocean City
hundred.gif
Old Somerset Hundredsincluding the areas of present-day Wicomico, Somerset, and Worcester Counties
almodington.jpg
Oriole - AlmodingtonAlmodington stands out as one of the most elaborate plantation houses erected in Somerset County during the mid eighteenth century. The original 1000-acre tract of Almodington, known to the Indians as Portoback, was officially surveyed for John Elzey on November 10, 1663 on the north side of the Manokin River. Almodington was probably built by his son, Arnold, or Arnold's son John in the 1720s or 1730s.
oriole1.jpg
Oriole Street Scene
pittsville.jpg
Pittsville Central School, Pittsville about 1905Built in 1905. Educated elementary through high school aged children until 1936, when a new school was built.
pocomoke-frontandmktsts.jpg
Pocomoke City - Front and Market Streets
PocomokeRiver2.jpg
Pocomoke City - View Along the Pocomoke River
pocomokecity1906.jpg
Pocomoke City, 1906
beckfordavepa.jpg
Princess Anne - Beckford Avenue South
spencerogerandsons.jpg
Princess Anne - FSA ClientRoger Spence, a client of the Farm Service Agency (FSA), and three of his sons in their home about two miles outside of Princess Anne. Spence's home had burned down and his family were living in a makeshift shack. The FSA was a New Deal program established in 1935 to help poor farming families in a number of ways.
manokinpres.jpg
Princess Anne - Manokin Presbyterian ChurchThe Manokin Presbyterian Church in Princess Anne, Somerset County, Maryland, is one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in America, having existed continuously as a congregation for more than three hundred years on or near the same plot of ground. The walls of the main section were built in 1765, and the tower was added in 1888. Its location is about fifty to seventy-five yards north of the stream which was once the navigable Manokin River. The church took its name from that of the river.
somersetcthse.jpg
Princess Anne - Somerset Courthouse
teackle.gif
Princess Anne - Teackle Mansion
elderlywomannearpa.jpg
Princess Anne - Tending the GardenElderly woman tends her garden near Princess Anne, 1940
washingtonhotelpa.jpg
Princess Anne - Washington Hotel, 1940sThis old colonial inn, built in 1744 during the reign of King George II, carries all who enter its doors back to the days when democracy was in the making. There are two stairways in this old historical hotel, side by side, one which was used by the ladies and the other by the gentlemen. The sides of the colonial mantle are worn away where, nearly 200 years ago, men propped their feet by the fire.
princessanneacademy.jpg
Princess Anne Academy, Eastern Branch, Maryland Agricultural CollegeWhat was at the time called the Delaware Conference Academy for Negroes was founded in 1886 by the Delaware Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and it was, at the time, a preparatory school for the private Centenary Biblical Institute in Baltimore, later known as Morgan College. In 1890, it was renamed the Princess Anne Academy and was aligned with the then Maryland Agricultural College. The State of Maryland purchased the Academy in 1935, and in 1936 it became a part of the University of Maryland, bearing the name Maryland State College from 1948 until 1970. In 1970 it was renamed University of Maryland Eastern Shore.
princessannegrange280.jpg
Princess Anne Grange #280
rehbapch.gif
Rehoboth Baptist ChurchLocated southwest of Pocomoke City, shown here about 1923
chesairways~0.jpg
Salisbury - Aerial View, Chesapeake Airways
sby-mainst-postfire1886.jpg
Salisbury - Aftermath of the Great Salisbury FireOn October 17, 1886 a small fire was discovered at Toadvine's Livery Stable on Dock Street, now Market Street. Fire spread very rapidly and eventually consumed 200 buildings including most of the commercial district. Soon after the fire began, Salisbury requested assistance from the other towns on the shore. Crisfield, Pocomoke City and Wilmington loaded their fire department steamers on special railroad trains and sent them to Salisbury's aid. The fire was brought under control on October 18, 1886.
asburymechurch-sby2~0.jpg
Salisbury - Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church
asburymechurch-sby~0.jpg
Salisbury - Asbury Methodist Episcopal ChurchThis stone church was built in 1887 on the site of an earlier church destroyed in the fire of 1886. It was named for Francis Asbury, the Father of American Methodism. In 1963, Asbury Methodist Church relocated to a new site near Salisbury University. In 1966, Faith Community Church purchased the building and continued to hold services.
BankofSalisbury2dollars1848.jpg
Salisbury - Bank of Salisbury $2 Bill
boatldg-wicriv-sby~0.jpg
Salisbury - Boat Landing on the Wicomico River
park-hs.jpg
Salisbury - City Park
sby-waterworks~0.jpg
Salisbury - City Park and Waterworks
deershead~0.jpg
Salisbury - Deer's Head HospitalLocated just north of Salisbury, next to Johnson's pond, Deer's Head was the first chronic disease hospital in Maryland. It was dedicated July 20, 1950.
divisionst-masonictmp-po-ca1930.jpg
Salisbury - Division Streetshowing the Masonic Temple and the post office about 1930
sbymainst-drawing.jpg
Salisbury - Drawing of Main Street
escolleg.jpg
Salisbury - Eastern Shore College of Business and Englishabout 1907
salisbury-fairday.jpg
Salisbury - Fair Day, around 1910Parade with elephants coming down High Street, with Toulson's Drug Store on the right, owned by Dr. John Milbourn Toulson and his wife, Maude (Ringgold) Toulson
181 files on 5 page(s) 2


HOME Somerset Cemeteries Wicomico Cemeteries Lower DelMarVa Roots Forum
E.S. Resources Libraries E.S. Resources Internet Research Bibliography
Maps Shari's DelMarVa Surname Lines The Mezick Family of Wicomico

© 1996 - Shari Handley