Shari Handley's Eastern Shore Maryland Genealogy Project

The Lower DelMarVa Family Album
Images of Historic Sites and Sights on the Lower Eastern Shore

Hello guest. Why not register (it is free!) to see even more pictures?

Lower Delmarva Family Album

Historical Images from the Lower Eastern Shore

Home Contact Register Login
**CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ALBUM** Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favorites Search
Home > LDFA

Salisbury - Jackson's Mill0 views
Salisbury - The John B. Parsons Home for the Aged0 views
Westover - Kingston Hall0 views(1) Kingston Hall, on Old Westover Marion Road on the Big Annamessex River at the Head of Kings Creek, was built by Thomas King, son of Col. Robert King, in the 1780s. He left it to his daughter, Elizabeth Barnes King, who married Col. Henry James Carroll and had two sons, Charles Cecilius Carroll and Thomas King Carroll.

The property passed to Thomas King Carroll. In 1829 he was elected governor of Maryland and later appointed as Chief Naval Officer for the Port of Baltimore by President Zachary Taylor. His oldest child, Anna Ella Carroll (b 1815) was educated as if she were the family’s firstborn son. (continued next photo)
Westover - Kingston Hall today0 views(2) By the time she finished college, the family and Kingston Hall were in financial distress. She tried to help by opening a girls' school. Due to debts incurred by previous generations of the family, the Carrolls lost Kingston Hall to foreclosure in 1837.

Despite that, Anna Ella Carroll became influential in national politics, even advising President Abraham Lincoln. She was a publicist and a lobbyist, developed the Tennessee River Plan, and was well known for her writing. Because of the era in which she was born, much of her work wasn’t recognized until long after she died in 1894.

John W. Dennis bought Kingston Hall after its foreclosure, and it passed down to John Upshur Dennis, who served as a judge of the Supreme Court of Baltimore
Wetipquin - Long Hill0 viewsThe ancestral home of the Dashiell family, lying on the north bank of the Wetipquin Creek in Wicomico County, is shown in this photo in its current, happily restored, condition.
Salisbury - Main and Division Streets - The Wicomico Hotel1 views
Salisbury - Main Street looking east from Dock (now Market) Street0 views
Salisbury - Main Street looking west0 views
Crisfield - Makepeace1 viewsAs the oldest home in Crisfield, Makepeace is an enduring example of mid-18th century vernacular architecture on the Eastern Shore. The house was likely built by Jacob Cullen shortly after 1740 on a patent called Cullen’s Lott near Johnson’s Creek.
Princess Anne - Manokin Presbyterian Church0 viewsThe Manokin Presbyterian Church in Princess Anne, Somerset County, Maryland, is one of the oldest Presbyterian churches in America, having existed continuously as a congregation for more than three hundred years on or near the same plot of ground. The walls of the main section were built in 1765, and the tower was added in 1888. Its location is about fifty to seventy-five yards north of the stream which was once the navigable Manokin River. The church took its name from that of the river.
Mardela Springs1 viewsBoy fishing in Barren Creek
Mardela Springs - Main Street, 19060 views
Salisbury - Maryland State Teachers College0 viewsNow known as Salisbury University, the college opened its doors in 1925 as the State Normal School with 105 students. The building shown here was originally the only building, now known as Holloway Hall. The college was renamed the Maryland State Teachers College in 1934.
Salisbury - Railroad Station0 views
MESSICK: Betsy J. Messick Hitch0 viewsElizabeth Jane Messick, b. 16 Sep 1831, Worcester County, MD
dau. of Ebenezer and Nancy (Johnson) Messick
m. Thomas James Hitch 9 Jan 1856 and lived in Somerset (now Tyaskin, Wicomico) County
Salisbury - Main Street0 views
Snow Hill - Mt. Zion One-Room Schoolhouse0 viewsThe Mt. Zion One Room School House, formerly located on Ironshire Street in Snow Hill, was built in 1869 at Mt. Zion near Whiton and used as a school until 1931. The building was moved near the high school in Snow Hill in 1959 and then to Furnace Town in 2016.
Snow Hill - Nassawango Iron Furnace0 viewsThe Nassawango Iron Furnace was erected in 1830 by the Maryland Iron Company to smelt iron from the bog ore formations in the immediate vicinity. It is the only furnace in Maryland ever to make extensive use of bog ore. It operated only until 1849, and was reported to be in dilapidated condition by 1859.
Snow Hill - Nassawango Iron Furnace HAER Information0 views
Snow Hill - Nassawango Iron Furnace HAER Information (page 2)1 views
Ocean City - Boardwalk and Beach from the Atlantic Hotel0 views
Ocean City - The Ocean Promenade Looking South from the New Atlantic Casino0 views
Oriole Street Scene0 views
Wicomico River Oyster Tongers, 19410 views
Salisbury - City Park0 views
Ocean City - Plimhimmon Hotel,Ocean City, 19223 views
Salisbury - Peninsula General Hospital0 views
Ocean City - Interior of the Pier Ball Room0 views
Salisbury - Pine Bluff Lily Pond and Hospital0 viewsPine Bluff State Hospital was a tuberculosis sanatorium built near Salisbury in 1912.
Pittsville Central School, Pittsville about 19050 viewsBuilt in 1905. Educated elementary through high school aged children until 1936, when a new school was built.
181 files on 7 page(s) 3

HOME Somerset Cemeteries Wicomico Cemeteries Lower DelMarVa Roots Forum
E.S. Resources Libraries E.S. Resources Internet Research Bibliography
Maps Shari's DelMarVa Surname Lines The Mezick Family of Wicomico

© 1996 - Shari Handley