Shari Handley's Eastern Shore Maryland Genealogy Project

The Lower DelMarVa Family Album
Images of Historic Sites and Sights on the Lower Eastern Shore

Hello guest. Why not register (it is free!) to see even more pictures?

Lower Delmarva Family Album

Historical Images from the Lower Eastern Shore

Home Contact Register Login
**CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ALBUM** Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favorites Search
Home > LDFA

Ewell - Skipjack0 viewsA skipjack at anchor in the harbor at Ewell, Smith Island. This famous style of sailing vessel plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay country since the latter part of the 19th century. It was a work boat used in the seafood industry and is also a popular entry in annual sailboat races in the Bay area.
Smith Island Scene0 views
Snow Hill Fire Department Engines0 views
Tyaskin District, 18650 views
Crisfield - Corner of Somerset and Asbury Avenue, 19130 views
Princess Anne - Somerset Courthouse0 views
Princess Anne - FSA Client0 viewsRoger Spence, a client of the Farm Service Agency (FSA), and three of his sons in their home about two miles outside of Princess Anne. Spence's home had burned down and his family were living in a makeshift shack. The FSA was a New Deal program established in 1935 to help poor farming families in a number of ways.
Deal Island - African-American Farmhouse, 19400 views... the home of one of Roger Spence's married sons
Hebron - Old Spring Hill Church1 viewsAlso known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, this historic Episcopal church on Rt 50 near Hebron was built in 1773 and was a chapel of ease for Stepney Parish. Fire destroyed the wooden church on July 22, 2014, months after it celebrated its 240th anniversary. Nearly 100 firefighters from numerous fire departments, including Wicomico and Sussex Counties, responded to the fire. This photo is from the U.S. HABS (Historic American Buildings Survey).
Green Hill Church (St. Bartholomew's Episcopal)0 viewsGreen Hill was the original parish church of Stepney Parish, which was laid out in 1692. In around 1694, a log church building was constructed here, replaced in 1733 with this current brick building. Though there are no regular services conducted here, the church is reopened every year in August for the annual St. Bartholomew's Day celebration and worship service. Three local Episcopal churches participate in this service: St. Mary's in Tyaskin, St. Phillip's in Quantico, and St. Paul's in Salisbury.
Whitehaven - Steamer on the Wicomico River0 views
Salisbury - Wicomico Sheriff and men, 19225 viewsSheriff John N. Farlaw and his men, with a confiscated still in Salisbury
Tyaskin - St. Mary's Episcopal Church0 viewsThe organization of a separate Episcopal congregation independent of Green Hill and St. Paul's dates to the last decades of the 18th century. A frame chapel stood on this site by 1796-98 and soon became a local landmark and point of reference for area descriptions. The chapel is referred to in several entries in the Federal Direct tax assessment levied in 1798. The late eighteenth century chapel burned in 1834, and it was not replaced by the current building (shown here) until eleven years later, in 1845.
Tyaskin - Grave of Sarah Hughes0 viewsThis may be the oldest gravestone in Wicomico County. It is located in the cemetery of St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Tyaskin.
Salisbury - Steamer Virginia on the Wicomico River0 views
Hebron - St. Paul's Methodist Church, about 19403 views
Manokin - Sudler's Conclusion0 viewsLocated on Hood Road north of Route 361, the original Flemish-bond brick portion of the structure was built around 1725. The property, then called "Barnaby's Lott" was purchased by Thomas Seon in 1747. His grandson, Thomas Seon Sudler had the property and surrounding property resurveyed as Sudler's Conclusion in 1789. The 2-story clapboard portion was added by a later owner about 1840.
Sunset on the Nanticoke River0 views
Princess Anne - Teackle Mansion0 views
Berlin - Trappe Mill0 views
Ocean City - Windsor Resort0 viewsprecursor to Trimper's in Ocean City
Tyaskin Methodist Church0 views
Smith Island - Tylerton Mail Boat4 views
Ocean City - U.S. Lifesaving Station2 views
Princess Anne - Washington Hotel, 1940s0 viewsThis old colonial inn, built in 1744 during the reign of King George II, carries all who enter its doors back to the days when democracy was in the making. There are two stairways in this old historical hotel, side by side, one which was used by the ladies and the other by the gentlemen. The sides of the colonial mantle are worn away where, nearly 200 years ago, men propped their feet by the fire.
Wenona - W.D. Webster Store, 19400 viewsWalter D. "Dick" Webster, born in 1878, had a store and boarding house in Wenona and ran fishing charters. He died in 1948.
Wetipquin - Mezick's Church or Meeting House, aka Wetipquin Chapel0 viewsBuilt between 1825 and 1827
Wetipquin - Mezick's Meeting House / Wetipquin Chapel0 viewsWetipquin Methodist Church, known for most of its history as Mezick's Meeting House or Mezick's Church. Built on land donated by Covington Mezick and his wife, Leah, in 1826.
Wetipquin - Mezick's Meeting House0 views
Wetipquin - Mezick's Meeting House0 views
181 files on 7 page(s) 5

HOME Somerset Cemeteries Wicomico Cemeteries Lower DelMarVa Roots Forum
E.S. Resources Libraries E.S. Resources Internet Research Bibliography
Maps Shari's DelMarVa Surname Lines The Mezick Family of Wicomico

© 1996 - Shari Handley