Last additions |

Salisbury - Bank of Salisbury $2 BillSep 03, 2023
|
|

Crisfield - Repairing Oyster BoatsSep 03, 2023
|
|

Princess Anne - Washington Hotel, 1940sThis old colonial inn, built in 1744 during the reign of King George II, carries all who enter its doors back to the days when democracy was in the making. There are two stairways in this old historical hotel, side by side, one which was used by the ladies and the other by the gentlemen. The sides of the colonial mantle are worn away where, nearly 200 years ago, men propped their feet by the fire.Aug 23, 2023
|
|

Crisfield - Corner of Somerset and Asbury Avenue, 1913Aug 23, 2023
|
|

Ewell - SkipjackA skipjack at anchor in the harbor at Ewell, Smith Island. This famous style of sailing vessel plied the waters of the Chesapeake Bay country since the latter part of the 19th century. It was a work boat used in the seafood industry and is also a popular entry in annual sailboat races in the Bay area.Aug 23, 2023
|
|

Princess Anne - Beckford Avenue SouthAug 23, 2023
|
|

Princess Anne Academy, Eastern Branch, Maryland Agricultural CollegeWhat was at the time called the Delaware Conference Academy for Negroes was founded in 1886 by the Delaware Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church and it was, at the time, a preparatory school for the private Centenary Biblical Institute in Baltimore, later known as Morgan College. In 1890, it was renamed the Princess Anne Academy and was aligned with the then Maryland Agricultural College. The State of Maryland purchased the Academy in 1935, and in 1936 it became a part of the University of Maryland, bearing the name Maryland State College from 1948 until 1970. In 1970 it was renamed University of Maryland Eastern Shore.Aug 23, 2023
|
|

Berlin - Man with Ox Cart, 1910Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Wicomico RiverAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Wicomico RiverAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Wicomico High School, 1907Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury Harbor - Wicomico RiverAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Wicomico Courthouse and Post OfficeAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Mill and Falls at Johnson's PondThe mill at Johnson's Pond produced this waterfall. The ponds in the area were cut off from the river for mill use creating businesses and revenue for the growing town. There used to be a horse path along the falls that has been removed. Today it is near Isabella Street. Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Pine Bluff Lily Pond and HospitalPine Bluff State Hospital was a tuberculosis sanatorium built near Salisbury in 1912.Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Steamer Virginia on the Wicomico RiverAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - City Park and WaterworksAug 17, 2023
|
|

Tyaskin - F.B. Culver StoreThe store was built around 1870-80 and was known as Covington & Culver during the late 19th century. In addition to the mercantile business, Covington & Culver also owned a sawmill and canning operation, as well as several bugeyes that worked the Chesapeake Bay. The store was torn down in the 1970s or 1980s.Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Wicomico River Oyster Tongers, 1941Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - The John B. Parsons Home for the AgedAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Maryland State Teachers CollegeNow known as Salisbury University, the college opened its doors in 1925 as the State Normal School with 105 students. The building shown here was originally the only building, now known as Holloway Hall. The college was renamed the Maryland State Teachers College in 1934.Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Eden - Romani Girl, 1940Farm Security Administration photo of a "gypsy" girl whose family lived on U.S. 13 about 5 miles south of Salisbury.Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Aerial View, Chesapeake AirwaysAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Deer's Head HospitalLocated just north of Salisbury, next to Johnson's pond, Deer's Head was the first chronic disease hospital in Maryland. It was dedicated July 20, 1950.Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Asbury Methodist Episcopal ChurchThis stone church was built in 1887 on the site of an earlier church destroyed in the fire of 1886. It was named for Francis Asbury, the Father of American Methodism. In 1963, Asbury Methodist Church relocated to a new site near Salisbury University. In 1966, Faith Community Church purchased the building and continued to hold services.Aug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Asbury Methodist Episcopal ChurchAug 17, 2023
|
|

Salisbury - Boat Landing on the Wicomico RiverAug 17, 2023
|
|

Whitehaven FerryThe view is from the Somerset side of the Wicomico River, looking towards Whitehaven on the Wicomico side.Aug 13, 2023
|
|

Eden - Bounds LottrestoredAug 11, 2023
|
|

Whitehaven HotelShown in its current, restored stateAug 10, 2023
|
|

Whitehaven Hotel about 1993The hotel is shown in ruinous condition before restoration began.Aug 10, 2023
|
|

Whitehaven HotelBuilt around 1810, the hotel is shown here (colorized) around 1900, during its heyday.Aug 10, 2023
|
|

Wetipquin - Long HillThe ancestral home of the Dashiell family, lying on the north bank of the Wetipquin Creek in Wicomico County, is shown in this photo in its current, happily restored, condition.Aug 05, 2023
|
|

Shad Point - Cherry Hillon the Wicomico River near Salisbury, about 1910Aug 05, 2023
|
|

Eden - Bounds Lottshown in its current, renovated conditionAug 04, 2023
|
|

Berlin Base Ball Club, 1908Jul 31, 2023
|
|

Ocean City - St. Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic ChurchJul 31, 2023
|
|

Ocean City - U.S. Lifesaving StationJul 31, 2023
|
|

Berlin - Ayes Creek, 1909Jul 31, 2023
|
|

Ocean City - Life Saving Crew (Surfmen) in Surf BoatJul 31, 2023
|
|

Ocean City - Windsor Resortprecursor to Trimper's in Ocean CityJul 31, 2023
|
|

Ocean City - Seaside HotelThis hotel, located on Wicomico Street at Baltimore Avenue, was built in 1876 and destroyed in a 1925 fire that also consumed the original pier building, the original Atlantic Hotel, and several blocks of the boardwalk.Jul 31, 2023
|
|
|