Shari Handley's Eastern Shore Maryland Genealogy Project

The Lower DelMarVa Family Album
Images of Historic Sites and Sights on the Lower Eastern Shore

Hello guest. Why not register (it is free!) to see even more pictures?

Lower Delmarva Family Album

Historical Images from the Lower Eastern Shore - CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VERSION


Home Contact Upload file Register Login
**CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ALBUM** Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favorites Search
Last additions
bolton.jpg
Whitehaven - BoltonThe land on which this house is located was originally patented as "Noble Quarter" in 1663, property held under the ownership of Nicholas Rice. The Wicomico River plantation was involved in a resurvey of the land in 1676, known as "Might Have Had More," a name which passed down with the property until the 1850s when the farm was renamed "Bolton." The house is now thought to have been built around 1700, if not before. It was owned down the years by families such as Waters, Willing, Shiles, Gale, Robertson.Jul 31, 2023
bivalveh.jpg
Bivalve HarborJul 31, 2023
beaudley.jpg
Tyaskin - Beaudleyon Jesterville Road in Tyaskin. Initially built by George Dashiell Walter around 1795, the story-and-a-half, side hall/double-pile main block extends to the rear with a mid nineteenth century single-story hyphen that joins a slightly taller single story kitchen erected around 1810.Jul 31, 2023
bivalve.jpg
Bivalve Methodist ChurchHistorically known as the Waltersville Methodist Protestant (M.P.) Church, dated to 1886 by a marble cornerstone. The town of Bivalve was once called Waltersville.Jul 31, 2023
bcapiersharptown.jpg
Sharptown - B C & A (Baltimore, Chesapeake, & Atlantic Railway) PierShown is the steamer Tangier at the wharf, waiting to load the watermelons being brought by wagon by farmers.Jul 31, 2023
wwwhaylandbldg-delmar.jpg
Delmar - W.W. Whayland BuildingJul 31, 2023
armory-salisbury.jpg
Salisbury ArmoryJul 31, 2023
1897strawberries.jpg
Fruitland - Strawberry HarvestJul 31, 2023
wihotel.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico HotelJul 31, 2023
wicosheriffwwlarmore-1907-1909.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico Sheriff W.W. LarmoreJul 31, 2023
wicosheriff-wmsmoore1873-1875.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico Sheriff William S. MooreJul 31, 2023
wicorivernitepostcard.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico RiverJul 31, 2023
wicoriverpostcard.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico RiverJul 31, 2023
wicoriveratwharf.jpg
Salisbury - Wharf on the Wicomico RiverJul 31, 2023
wicopresbyterian-sby.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico Presbyterian ChurchJul 31, 2023
wicoriv.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico RiverJul 31, 2023
wicopresby.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico Presbyterian ChurchJul 31, 2023
wicomicohotellobby.jpg
Salisbury - Lobby of the Wicomico HotelJul 31, 2023
wicohotel.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico HotelJul 31, 2023
wicohs.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico High SchoolJul 31, 2023
wicocourthouse.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico County CourthouseJul 31, 2023
wichotel.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico HotelJul 31, 2023
whitehavenhoteltoday.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel todayJul 31, 2023
whthvn.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel, about 1960Jul 31, 2023
wetipquincreek.jpg
Wetipquin CreekJul 31, 2023
whhotel.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel during restorationJul 31, 2023
whhb4.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel about 1985after the days of its glory which ended with the close of World War IJul 31, 2023
wetip4.jpg
Wetipquin - Mezick's Meeting HouseJul 31, 2023
wetip3.jpg
Wetipquin - Mezick's Meeting HouseJul 31, 2023
wetip2.jpg
Wetipquin - Mezick's Meeting House / Wetipquin ChapelWetipquin Methodist Church, known for most of its history as Mezick's Meeting House or Mezick's Church. Built on land donated by Covington Mezick and his wife, Leah, in 1826.Jul 31, 2023
wetip.jpg
Wetipquin - Mezick's Church or Meeting House, aka Wetipquin ChapelBuilt between 1825 and 1827Jul 31, 2023
tyaskumc.jpg
Tyaskin Methodist ChurchJul 31, 2023
stpaulmethodist-hebron-1940.jpg
Hebron - St. Paul's Methodist Church, about 1940Jul 31, 2023
stmarys-sarahhughes.jpg
Tyaskin - Grave of Sarah HughesThis may be the oldest gravestone in Wicomico County. It is located in the cemetery of St. Mary's Episcopal Church in Tyaskin.Jul 31, 2023
stmaryphoto.jpg
Tyaskin - St. Mary's Episcopal ChurchThe organization of a separate Episcopal congregation independent of Green Hill and St. Paul's dates to the last decades of the 18th century. A frame chapel stood on this site by 1796-98 and soon became a local landmark and point of reference for area descriptions. The chapel is referred to in several entries in the Federal Direct tax assessment levied in 1798. The late eighteenth century chapel burned in 1834, and it was not replaced by the current building (shown here) until eleven years later, in 1845.Jul 31, 2023
still-1922-sheriffjohnfarlaw.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico Sheriff and men, 1922Sheriff John N. Farlaw and his men, with a confiscated still in SalisburyJul 31, 2023
steamshipatwhitehavencir1880.jpg
Whitehaven - Steamer on the Wicomico RiverJul 31, 2023
springhillchapel.jpg
Hebron - Old Spring Hill ChurchAlso known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, this historic Episcopal church on Rt 50 near Hebron was built in 1773 and was a chapel of ease for Stepney Parish. Fire destroyed the wooden church on July 22, 2014, months after it celebrated its 240th anniversary. Nearly 100 firefighters from numerous fire departments, including Wicomico and Sussex Counties, responded to the fire. This photo is from the U.S. HABS (Historic American Buildings Survey).Jul 31, 2023
somerset1865-samljmartenetmap.jpg
Tyaskin District, 1865Jul 31, 2023
stbarth.jpg
Green Hill Church (St. Bartholomew's Episcopal)Green Hill was the original parish church of Stepney Parish, which was laid out in 1692. In around 1694, a log church building was constructed here, replaced in 1733 with this current brick building. Though there are no regular services conducted here, the church is reopened every year in August for the annual St. Bartholomew's Day celebration and worship service. Three local Episcopal churches participate in this service: St. Mary's in Tyaskin, St. Phillip's in Quantico, and St. Paul's in Salisbury.Jul 31, 2023
siloamcampmtg.jpg
Fruitland - Siloam Camp MeetingPhoto taken circa 1900 at Siloam Camp Meeting, Wicomico County, Maryland. Methodist camp meetings were very popular gatherings for social, as well as religious purposes.Jul 31, 2023
sbytrainstation.jpg
Salisbury - New Union Train StationJul 31, 2023
249 files on 6 page(s) 5


HOME Somerset Cemeteries Wicomico Cemeteries Lower DelMarVa Roots Forum
E.S. Resources Libraries E.S. Resources Internet Research Bibliography
Maps Shari's DelMarVa Surname Lines The Mezick Family of Wicomico

© 1996 - Shari Handley