Shari Handley's Eastern Shore Maryland Genealogy Project

The Lower DelMarVa Family Album
Images of Historic Sites and Sights on the Lower Eastern Shore

Hello guest. Why not register (it is free!) to see even more pictures?

Lower Delmarva Family Album

Historical Images from the Lower Eastern Shore - CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VERSION


Home Contact Upload file Register Login
**CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ALBUM** Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favorites Search
Most viewed
captcarsonandmenOCLSS1915.jpg
Ocean City - Lifesaving Station, 191533 viewsCaptain Carson and his Surfmen
grierandson-sby-lemonhill.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico River at the Lemmon Hill area31 viewsF.A. Grier & Sons machine shop/Salisbury Foundry, about 1900
dealisfisherman-1940-edwardteddiecorbett.jpg
Wenona - Deal Island Waterman, 194028 viewsEdward T. "Eddie" Corbett
1950oc-stmarystarofthesea.jpg
Ocean City - St. Mary's Star of the Sea Catholic Church22 views
sby-grierbrosmachineshop.jpg
Salisbury - Grier Brothers Machine Works15 views
azariahnelson-seacapt-crisfield.jpg
Crisfield Sea Captain8 viewsAzariah Nelson
wicosheriffwwlarmore-1907-1909.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico Sheriff W.W. Larmore6 views
still-1922-sheriffjohnfarlaw.jpg
Salisbury - Wicomico Sheriff and men, 19225 viewsSheriff John N. Farlaw and his men, with a confiscated still in Salisbury
homefortheaged-salisbury.jpg
Salisbury - Lemmon Hill (John B. Parsons Home for the Aged)4 viewsOriginally part of Pemberton's Good Will, Lemmon Hill was named for a Dr. Richard Lemmon who lived there until he died in 1857. A huge old white oak tree stood on this land, and the first Old School Baptist sermon ever heard on the Eastern Shore was preached under its boughs. The Baptists made an annual pilgrimage to the tree during their Yearly Meeting until it was destroyed in the great fire of 1886. John D. Parsons, who later owned the home, bequeathed the property for use as a home for the aged.
salisbury-fairday.jpg
Salisbury - Fair Day, around 19104 viewsParade with elephants coming down High Street, with Toulson's Drug Store on the right, owned by Dr. John Milbourn Toulson and his wife, Maude (Ringgold) Toulson
whitehavenhoteltoday.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel today4 views
tylerton-mtgmailboat-1930s.jpg
Smith Island - Tylerton Mail Boat4 views
stpaulmethodist-hebron-1940.jpg
Hebron - St. Paul's Methodist Church, about 19403 views
wetipquincreek.jpg
Wetipquin Creek3 views
PC_1181_Plimhimmon_1922_jpg.jpg
Ocean City - Plimhimmon Hotel,Ocean City, 19223 views
sals-lacythoroughgood.jpg
Salisbury - Lacy Thoroughgood's Clothing Store2 views
berlinfireco-1920s.jpg
Berlin - Fire Company, 1920s2 views
USLifesavingStationOC.jpg
Ocean City - U.S. Lifesaving Station2 views
cherryhill.jpg
Shad Point - Cherry Hill2 viewson the Wicomico River near Salisbury, about 1910
whitehavenhotel_today.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel2 viewsShown in its current, restored state
divisionst-masonictmp-po-ca1930.jpg
Salisbury - Division Street1 viewsshowing the Masonic Temple and the post office about 1930
mainanddivision-sby.jpg
Salisbury - Main and Division Streets - The Wicomico Hotel1 views
MardelaSpr15f.jpg
Mardela Springs1 viewsBoy fishing in Barren Creek
sby-mainst-postfire1886.jpg
Salisbury - Aftermath of the Great Salisbury Fire1 viewsOn October 17, 1886 a small fire was discovered at Toadvine's Livery Stable on Dock Street, now Market Street. Fire spread very rapidly and eventually consumed 200 buildings including most of the commercial district. Soon after the fire began, Salisbury requested assistance from the other towns on the shore. Crisfield, Pocomoke City and Wilmington loaded their fire department steamers on special railroad trains and sent them to Salisbury's aid. The fire was brought under control on October 18, 1886.
springhillchapel.jpg
Hebron - Old Spring Hill Church1 viewsAlso known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, this historic Episcopal church on Rt 50 near Hebron was built in 1773 and was a chapel of ease for Stepney Parish. Fire destroyed the wooden church on July 22, 2014, months after it celebrated its 240th anniversary. Nearly 100 firefighters from numerous fire departments, including Wicomico and Sussex Counties, responded to the fire. This photo is from the U.S. HABS (Historic American Buildings Survey).
whhb4.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel about 19851 viewsafter the days of its glory which ended with the close of World War I
makepeace-crisfield-built1678.jpg
Crisfield - Makepeace1 viewsAs the oldest home in Crisfield, Makepeace is an enduring example of mid-18th century vernacular architecture on the Eastern Shore. The house was likely built by Jacob Cullen shortly after 1740 on a patent called Cullen’s Lott near Johnson’s Creek.
nassawangoironfurnace2.jpg
Snow Hill - Nassawango Iron Furnace HAER Information (page 2)1 views
pocomoke-frontandmktsts.jpg
Pocomoke City - Front and Market Streets1 views
whitehavenhotel_colorized.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel1 viewsBuilt around 1810, the hotel is shown here (colorized) around 1900, during its heyday.
whitehavenhotel_ruined.jpg
Whitehaven Hotel about 19931 viewsThe hotel is shown in ruinous condition before restoration began.
   
31 files on 1 page(s)


HOME Somerset Cemeteries Wicomico Cemeteries Lower DelMarVa Roots Forum
E.S. Resources Libraries E.S. Resources Internet Research Bibliography
Maps Shari's DelMarVa Surname Lines The Mezick Family of Wicomico

© 1996 - Shari Handley