Shari Handley's Eastern Shore Maryland Genealogy Project

The Lower DelMarVa Family Album
Images of Historic Sites and Sights on the Lower Eastern Shore

Hello guest. Why not register (it is free!) to see even more pictures?

Lower Delmarva Family Album

Historical Images from the Lower Eastern Shore - CLICK ON IMAGE FOR LARGER VERSION


Home Contact Upload file Register Login
**CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE ENTIRE ALBUM** Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favorites Search
Most viewed
USLifesavingStationOC.jpg
Ocean City - U.S. Lifesaving Station2 views
cherryhill.jpg
Shad Point - Cherry Hill2 viewson the Wicomico River near Salisbury, about 1910
divisionst-masonictmp-po-ca1930.jpg
Salisbury - Division Street1 viewsshowing the Masonic Temple and the post office about 1930
mainanddivision-sby.jpg
Salisbury - Main and Division Streets - The Wicomico Hotel1 views
MardelaSpr15f.jpg
Mardela Springs1 viewsBoy fishing in Barren Creek
sby-mainst-postfire1886.jpg
Salisbury - Aftermath of the Great Salisbury Fire1 viewsOn October 17, 1886 a small fire was discovered at Toadvine's Livery Stable on Dock Street, now Market Street. Fire spread very rapidly and eventually consumed 200 buildings including most of the commercial district. Soon after the fire began, Salisbury requested assistance from the other towns on the shore. Crisfield, Pocomoke City and Wilmington loaded their fire department steamers on special railroad trains and sent them to Salisbury's aid. The fire was brought under control on October 18, 1886.
springhillchapel.jpg
Hebron - Old Spring Hill Church1 viewsAlso known as St. Paul's Episcopal Church, this historic Episcopal church on Rt 50 near Hebron was built in 1773 and was a chapel of ease for Stepney Parish. Fire destroyed the wooden church on July 22, 2014, months after it celebrated its 240th anniversary. Nearly 100 firefighters from numerous fire departments, including Wicomico and Sussex Counties, responded to the fire. This photo is from the U.S. HABS (Historic American Buildings Survey).
cemtrek2001.jpg
Deal Island - CemTrek 20011 viewsCemTrekkers in 100° heat in front of the Joshua Thomas Chapel, Deal Island. Front, L to R: Donna Wendt (HI), Shari and Leah Handley, Lindsey VanAssche (all MI), Lucinda Williams (NY), Margaret Robinson (DE). 2nd row, Paul Willing (MD), L. Paul Morris (PA), Jill Pevear (MD), Ida Waters Cheek (PA). 3rd row, Penny White (far left, from Nottingham, England), Linda Fiorini (middle, MD), Donald Cheek (far right, PA). Back, Ralph Willing (CT), Helen Insley and Henry Alsruhe (both VA), Ashley McDonnell (MD)
nassawangoironfurnace2.jpg
Snow Hill - Nassawango Iron Furnace HAER Information (page 2)1 views
pocomoke-frontandmktsts.jpg
Pocomoke City - Front and Market Streets1 views
KingstonHallnow.jpg
Westover - Kingston Hall today1 views(2) By the time she finished college, the family and Kingston Hall were in financial distress. She tried to help by opening a girls' school. Due to debts incurred by previous generations of the family, the Carrolls lost Kingston Hall to foreclosure in 1837.

Despite that, Anna Ella Carroll became influential in national politics, even advising President Abraham Lincoln. She was a publicist and a lobbyist, developed the Tennessee River Plan, and was well known for her writing. Because of the era in which she was born, much of her work wasn’t recognized until long after she died in 1894.

John W. Dennis bought Kingston Hall after its foreclosure, and it passed down to John Upshur Dennis, who served as a judge of the Supreme Court of Baltimore
TrappeMillPond-Berlin.jpg
Berlin - Trappe Mill1 viewsTruitt and les Callette called the Trappe Mill site the oldest in the county, successor of Powell’s Mill mentioned in the 1698 will of Walter Powell, then a resident of Somerset County. Powell left to his daughters Elizabeth and Mary Evans “Powell’s Mill Pond,” 250 acres and the tract “Hilliard’s Discovery on the seaboard side.” The authors of WCMA, p. 288, believed that Powells Mill developed into Trappe Mill. The village of Buckingham was in the upper seaside region at a gristmill on Trappe Creek. After the main highway bypassed the location, the settlement declined and was superseded by the village near Burley Inn (i. e. Berlin); the old mill continued as the Trappe Mill.
54 files on 2 page(s) 2


HOME Somerset Cemeteries Wicomico Cemeteries Lower DelMarVa Roots Forum
E.S. Resources Libraries E.S. Resources Internet Research Bibliography
Maps Shari's DelMarVa Surname Lines The Mezick Family of Wicomico

© 1996 - Shari Handley